Last but not least, we’ve asked yoga teacher Michaela Olexova to reveal a simple yet powerful detoxing routine to ‘awaken’ your digestive organs – so easy that it can be done in bed! We’re all ears. Over to Michaela…
As we were getting ready to move our house last week, I was on a mission to seriously de-clutter all our possessions (and obsessions) of previous lives, relationships, travels and hobbies, in order to restore a flow of positive energy in our lives and to bring a sense of equanimity in our new home from day one. I was shocked to notice how much stuff we decided to drop off at charity shops or the recycling centre, but enjoyed the newly gained space and freedom that came with it! Whether you have to move or not, there probably isn’t a better time of year to practice this exercise. Spring brings such a strong spell of fresh air, our urge to cleanse only naturally grows. And I’d say: de-clutter anything from your house, wardrobe, garden, car, workspace - and most importantly your body and mind.
Did you notice how we often tend to pay more attention to the state of our precious car or computer when it gets infected by a virus or breaks down? And how we blindly believe that our body and mind somehow mysteriously reboots itself if it starts malfunction? Stress, bad eating habits and pollutants are only some of the reasons responsible for building toxins (or viruses) in our body and mind. They not only weaken our digestion, providing a perfect environment for development of illness, they also significantly influence our mental and emotional wellbeing. According to Ayurveda, the good health and longevity is dependent on our capability to fully digest food and eliminate toxins efficiently. Together with yoga, it prescribes a detox plan that is safe, natural and helps strengthen your digestive fire that melts toxins away.
If you love to feel invigorated, energized and glowing, pick up this simple yet powerful yoga detox routine to stimulate your digestive organs and purify your system before you even set your feet off the bed in the morning...Seated Cross-Legged Forward Bend
- Cross your legs or sit in half or full lotus seat.
- Stretch your arms forward and bring your hands in prayer position.
- Hold for 5-10 breaths, breathing into your abdomen and keep lengthening your spine with each inhale.
- Clasp your fingers and bring your hands towards your chest.
- Inhale, bend your head back gently and stretch your throat.
- Open your chest and fill it with fresh air.
- Keep your fingers interlaced and stretch your arms forward.
- Exhale, press your chin towards your chest and stretch the back of your neck.
- Relax your body and release the old air and waste.
- Repeat 5-10 times.
- Bring your arms in “L” shape bending your elbows.
- Inhaling, twist to your right, bringing spaciousness into your chest.
- Exhaling, twist to your left, looking behind your other shoulder and opening wide.
- Repeat 5-10 times.
- Lie down on your belly with your forehead down.
- Bend knees and reach for your ankles holding them tight with your hands.
- Inhaling, lift your knees, thighs, chest and head upwards.
- Keep your arms straight, trying to lift your feet further up.
- Hold for 5 breaths, breathing into your abdomen.
Michaela Olexova is a spiritual life & yoga teacher helping you to re-connect with your true nature so you can stress less & dream more. #GetYourOMBack at www.michaelaolexova.com