Whilst raw chocolate makes for one of our favourite #skinfood snacks (read more on the nutritional benefits of it here) did you know that it also has some pretty amazing skin benefits when applied topically? Containing an array of free radical neutralizing antioxidants and high levels of flavanol, super food cacao has been shown to improve the functioning of blood vessels which in turn, increases micro-circulation and increases skin density and hydration*.
Cacao is a rich source of minerals including sulfur, copper, manganese, zinc, iron and Omega 6 fatty acids. When applied topically, these minerals absorb into the skin, supplying us with some of the key nutrients necessary for healthy skin, whilst promoting cellular healing and cell damage prevention. Read on for our favourite ways to utilise the skin-enhancing benefits of cacao in our natural beauty regimes...
- May Lindstrom - The Problem Solver Correcting Masque: A fusion of some of the most potent antioxidant rich skin foods, raw cacao is a key player in this skin-cell regenerating masque that works to purify and tighten pores whilst eradicating inflammation, healing blemishes and stimulating the skin to increase detoxification.
- Live Native Botanical Earth Antioxidant Mud Mask: Utilising the highest quality cacao in its raw form, combined with vanilla and sun-dried rhassoul clay straight from the earth, this nourishing mask corrects and strengthens all skin types, including those with acne-prone or sensitive skin.
For a sense of calm:
- May Lindstrom - The Jasmine Garden: This all-over body elixir calms both skin and mind, restoring skin elasticity whilst eradicating redness and inflammation. Allow for an entire sensory experience with the scent of subtle sweetness transporting you to ‘a field of cocoa beans drenched in warm rain’.
For a brightening effect...
- May Lindstrom – The Good Stuff Radiance Oil: Combining golden minerals with superior nourishment from a blend of cold-pressed plant oils including nourishing cocoa oil, this unique blend not only works to reveal a brightened and glowing complexion, it also makes for a great natural mood-booster. Find out how here.
For all-over moisture...
- Laidbare Butter Me Up: With winter fast approaching it doesn’t mean that dry skin should be too. To ensure skin stays soft and supple all winter long a thick body butter is a necessity. This one containing cocoa butter is a staple in our Winter organic beauty regimes.
- Jao Goe Oil: We love a multi-use product and this all-over natural beauty bag essential is one of our favourites! Whilst not as thick as other all-over moisturisers, don’t let the consistency of this ultra-absorbent oil deceive you – its unique beauty lies in its ability to get to the root of the cause; replacing the natural oils we lose due to age, environmental stress and weather that cause dry skin.
- Amala Rejuvenating Range: If you’re serious about cacao, this range is for you. All products contain cocoa bean to help stimulate micro-circulation whilst restoring elasticity, hydrating dry, taut or dehydrated skin and providing antioxidant protection from free radical damage.
- Begin with the Rejuvenating Cleansing Milk designed to efficiently remove dirt, makeup and environmental debris that the skin encounters throughout the day.
- Next, apply the Rejuvenating Toner to smooth skin and refine pores.
- Apply the Rejuvenating Serum which contains the highest percentage of actives for a concentrated superfood boost to the skin.
- Apply Rejuvenating Face Cream – designed to restore natural moisture to leave skin hydrated and protected from free radical damage or pair with the Amala Moisturiser to suit your skin type or the Advanced Firming Complex.
- Afterwards wash hands and dry well before applying Amala Rejuvenating Hand Cream to deeply moisturise and protects dry, chapped hands.
Weekly Treat for Skin
- Apply the Amala Rejuvenating Collagen Mask to revive, heal and restores the skin's natural smoothness.
* Long-term ingestion of high flavanol cocoa provides photoprotection against UV-induced erythema and improves skin condition in women; Heinrich U1, Neukam K, Tronnier H, Sies H, Stahl W; Journal of Nutrition; 2006 Jun;136(6):1565-9