As early adopters of natural and holistic remedies, we find aromatherapy to be one of the most effective (and pleasant) methods of caring and looking after ourselves. As a testament to that, we have tried many aromatherapeutic organic beauty treatments over the years! Our picks of the crop are the perfect hybrids between natural beauty and wellness aids, seamlessly crossing the line between nourishing both body and mind – meaning they are ‘physiologically’ effective and mood-balancing. So, which ones made the final cut? Find out below.
If you’d like to know more about essential oils and how they work, we’ve compiled some surprising key facts here.
Finding it hard to doze off? Get a little help from nature’s finest essential oils.
- Tata Harper’s Bedtime Treatment is made utilising powerfully concentrated 100% organic, natural essential botanical oils. It comes in a roll-on form, and applied to “pulse points” (wrists, ears and necks) and inhaled, in order to trigger our wellbeing. The calming fragrance is a blend of ten active ingredients, including mandarin, lavender and melissa.
- Lotus Wei Quiet Mind Mist: The Lotus Wei Quiet Mind energy mist contain calming aromatherapeutic and flower remedies of geranium, lemon and coriander. What’s more, it is infused with kyanite gemstone energy for added peace of mind. If you’d like to ‘quiet down’ the chatter in your mind, spray this mist on yourself as well as your surroundings, including pillow and bed sheets. It's a pure plant-based lullaby!
When your energy and mood are running low and you’re finding it tough being nice to others (and yourself), try these #ContentApproved favourites.
- Lotus Wei Infinite Love Mist: This mist awakes your nurturing, affectionate nature towards others and yourself, thanks to an organic blend of Hong Kong orchid, wild fireweed, pink magnolia, orange hawkweed and pink lotus. It’s infused with pink tourmaline crystal essence to promote kindness. Feel the love!
- Tata Harper Irritability Treatment: If you’re feeling a little out of sorts (or feel that the world is) roll-on some of this powerful and soothing blend of bergamot, rose and patchouli on yourself throughout the day, to help banish irritability.
Need a little motivational boost? These are our go-to, energising aromatherapeutic infusions.
- De Mamiel Seasonal Oils: The De Mamiel seasonal oils truly are a thing of beauty! They motivate us with 'inspired action', thanks to a blend of seasonal supportive oils that are targeted to help cope with the seasonal shifts and achieve balance and harmony.
- Lotus Wei Inspired Action Mist: This plant-based cocktail helps to boost creativity and decisiveness, and shift procrastination and indecisiveness. We love the cheerful scent of pink pepper, Jamaican bay & citrus combined, which gives us instant drive and motivation. The addition of fluorite crystal essence helps sharpen our intuition too.
- Therapie Roques O’Neil Restore Aura Spray: Do you believe in modern-day alchemy? Try this mist and you will – it’s a special infusion of essential oils, crystals and Reiki. We spritz it on ourselves and surroundings for a ‘quick fix’, as it helps rebuild and balance our energy fields (auras), thanks to the ‘meditative’ and heart-opening properties of frankinsence, white sage and rose. It's a must-have after plane rides and stressful commutes!
During particularly stressful times, we need all the help we can get! When the going gets tough, try these grounding and calming natural beauty treatments:
- Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Range: We love this range – all haircare products and the body wash are enriched with the "Destress Express" aroma: a certified organic sweet mint sensation, composed of therapeutic essentials oils to refresh and calm the mind. They are a real treat for senses, body and tresses!
- Lotus Wei Inner Peace Energy Mist: Grounding and calming, this mist is like meditation in a bottle. Made with some of our favourite essential oils such as lavender, vetiver, geranium, allspice and essence of emerald, we keep it within reach during stressful times.
- Therapie Roques O’Neil Cherish Skin Repair Body Serum: This heaven-scent (pun intended) body serum is packed with skin and mood rejuvenating, moisturising and circulation-boosting ingredients. The aromas of the geranium bourbon, patchouli and soothing neroli provide support for the body during stressful times.
- Tata Harper Stress Treatment: If you’re feeling a little overwhelmed by anxiety and stress, try this aromatherapy treatment which contains ten active ingredients, including calming linden blossom, anxiety-reducing rose otto and neroli. It really helps dispel nervousness and uplift the senses.
- May Lindstrom Blue Cocoon: Did we mention how much we love the ingredient blue tansy? Exhibit A – this intoxicatingly beautiful azule balm with ‘mystical’ blue tansy, which helps alleviate anxiety. This balm brings relief to inflamed skin, helping to clear both our complexions and minds. It’s our calming night-time ritual of choice before bed!
If on the other hand, you prefer to use pure essential oils, there are so many ways in which you can use them! Here just a couple of ideas:
- Make Your Own Yoga Mat Spray and DIY Home Scent: Ever thought about altering the energy of your yoga mat to assist you in winding down, clocking out and getting the most out of your practice? We sure did - and it's easy! Get a little DIY going here.
- Diffuser: Get a good diffuser and use it in your living or office space for an instant fragrance and mood 'makeover'! You can switch up the oils according to which mood and 'ambience' you'd like to create. We like the Page Thirty Three Essential Oils which we switch around according to our mood. Fun fact: the Chinese and Japanese have actually turned the appreciation of these scents into a real “art” in the form of Kohdo.
- In Food: Although the idea sounds bizarre, this actually works! Curious? See how you can incorporate essential oils in our Chocolate Ganache Tarte recipe.
- Boost your Immune defences: Eucalyptus is a fantastic aid to ward off colds and fighting the sniffles. Read our guide here.
- Light a therapeutic candle: We’re obsessed with Colors Japonica’s candles, which contain essences and absolutes extracted from flowers, woods, citruses, and spices. Their hand-blended scents are divine! A personal favourite for relaxation is the Color of Serenity. For meditation, we like to light up Jane Kersel’s Cosmic Passion candle, made from natural essential oils to ‘energise’ and lift vibrations.
- Massage: Few things are better than an aromatherapeutic massage! Simply add one drop of essential oil per 1 teaspoon of carrier oil. Lavender is one of our favourites as it's greatly relaxing. It’s important to remember that it should never apply essential oils directly on skin. More on that here. Or book yourself natural lift massage or massage
Want to know more about aromatherapy and fragrance? See our suggested reading list:
- Introducing Aroma April – Celebrating Flowers and Formulas
- The Green Edit: Home Scenting
- Aroma April – The Nostalgic Nuances of Aroma
- Our favourite scent inspired reads
- Interview with Tata Harper
- Interview with Rachel Winard from Soapwalla
- Interview with Michelle Roques O'Neil