Whilst Summer make-up is all about a bronzed complexion, with hues of gold, oranges and nudes occupying the majority of space in our #greenmakeup bags, with Autumn approaching we’ve been taking a cue from the A/W14 catwalks that saw lilac eyes trending this season. From a luminescent wash at Diane Von Furstenburg to Burberry’s new lilac take on the classic smoky eye – we’ve taken this Autumn trend to a new level using our natural and organic makeup brands.
Whilst some may cringe at the thought of adding purple shades to their organic makeup kit, this trend favours subtle, smudged and softer lines and is the star of the show, with lips, cheeks and face complimenting this pop of colour with a paired back ‘barely there’ appearance. However, whilst you cant go wrong with a ‘less is more’ approach, as the A/W shows demonstrated, this look can be quite versatile too.
Read on for Organic Makeup artist Lillian Komor's step-by-step guide to recreating our favourite ways to wear and be inspired to love lilac this Autumn...
The Lilac Wash
As seen at: Diane Von Furstenburg, Derek Lam
If you’re new to wearing colour or simply prefer to make a subtle statement when it comes to your #organicmakeup then the lilac wash is best suited to you.
Get the look:
- Use fingers to polish the eyelid with RMS Imagine (Vapour eyeshadow in Seduce also works well)
- Blending at the outer edges, create a soften the edge.
- For a barely there look pair with a flash of RMS Buriti Bronzer over cheeks, bridge of nose and temples
- To take this look from day to night use the RMS Brightening Brush to create a soft line on the bottom lashes
- Complete the look by applying vanilla or cocoa skin balm on the lips for a moisturizing clear gloss finish
The New Smoky Eye
As seen at: Burberry, Mulberry
If you’re used to wearing colour or are partial to a smoky eye, this contemporary lilac version that favours a smudge of colour on the upper and lower lid makes for the perfect Autumn evening alternative.
Get the look:
- Use Kjaer Weis Shadow in Wisdom all over the lid up to the crease as a base colour (double up the Kjaer Weis Cream Foundation Brush as a eye shadow brush - the flat denseness of the brush will help to pack the colour on and help to make it last all evening)
- With a blending brush such as Ecotools Eye Shading Brush, gently blend Kjaer Weis Pretty Purple into the inner-eye crease
- Bring the colour down in a 'C' shape on to the top eye line from the crease to the outer edge
- Blend a little under the eye concentrating on the outer edge
- Keep adding thin layers until desired density is achieved
- Add mascara (for more intense lashes use Studio 78 Mascara or for for more defined lashes try Kjaer Weis mascara)
- Highlight in inner corner
- Using an eyeliner brush, draw a line of RMS Imagine along the top lashes from inner-eye to outer
- To create a flick at the outer edge, look down into a mirror, following the natural line of your eye and extend outwards.
- If your like powders, wet your Ecotools Bamboo Flat Eyeliner Brush and following the same method apply W3ll People Sparkling Plum
The Liliac Lip
If lips are more your thing, play around with texture and tone by applying RMS Lip Shine in Royal to your desired consistency and colour, blended down this takes on a pretty pink hue.
- For light coverage use fingers to pat on RMS Lip Shine in Royal to desired consistency
- For a more intense look use Kjaer Weis' lip brush - the great thing about this #greenbeauty tool is that it comes with a lid making it great for on-the-go!
- Finish the look with a dab of RMS Living Luminizer on your cupids bow