We’re not ditching our classic nude and red natural lipsticks any time soon, but we’re certainly in favour of experimenting with a new colour Summer. Think about it: coupled with sunshine and a little tan, there’s no better time of the year for to rock a bright orange lip. The trick is finding the shade that works for your skin tone and colouring – but when you do it’s a make-up game changer.
Orange goes by various guises - peach, coral and tangerine are all shades that fit under the ‘orange’ umbrella. For those that aren’t sure where to start we’ve put together a skin tone colour-matching guide of #ContentApproved orange lipsticks and gathered some expert tips from our resident organic make-up artists on their favourite natural make-up hues.
But remember, when choosing a colour the rules are ultimately up to you – if you feel great wearing it that’s all the colour-matching you need!
FAIR & PORCELAIN - If you’re unsure about making the leap to bright orange, coral tones are the perfect transitional hue. Leaning on the peachy side, it looks pretty on all skin tones, but we think it’s especially lovely on our fair skinned Content Beauties.
- rms beauty Lip2Cheek Smile: A beautiful, bright coral colour which looks extremely natural and doesn't dry out lips thanks to the moisturising ingredients including beeswax.
- ILIA Beauty Coral Lip Conditioner in Shell Shock: A vibrant, sheer coral shade that can be worn for a subtle tint or layered for a more intense colour. It verges on a peachy pink and has a modern shiny finish.
- W3LL PEOPLE Nudist Colourbalm Stick No.1: The ultimate ‘hint’ of colour. If you are lipstick shy but like a tinted lip balm start here.
- Vapour Elixir Plumping Lip Gloss in Trust: A clear, cool coral, ideal for everyday make-up. Keeps lips in check thanks to antioxidant-packed formula. Easy to apply and instantly plumping!
- Kjaer Weis Cream Blush in Sun Touched: A rich coral pigment which gives an instantly, naturally sun-kissed glow. It’s recommended for fair skin but also works on to medium-dark skin.
OLIVE & SUN-KISSED - Have fun - you will look great with any of the tangerine or universal hues! We suggest trying pretty much anything on the orange scale ranging from tangerine to true orange. Keep the rest of your make-up natural so the orange will really ‘pop’ against your complexion.
- ILIA Beauty Lip Conditioner in Dizzy: This melon orange hue is uplifting by colour and by scent thanks to jasmine and orange blossom essential oils.
- rms beauty Lip2Cheek in Curious: A bright, wearable orange which looks fantastic on every skin type, but works especially well with a tan or olive skin.
- ILIA Beauty I Put A Spell On You Multi-Stick: Apply this bright tangerine multi-stick on warmer skin tones for a healthy, sun kissed look.
- ILIA Beauty Karma Chameleon Lip Crayon: A fiery, coral bright shade that looks good and does good thanks to healing oils of papaya, sesame and rose hip. And how cute is the lip crayon format?
- Tata Harper Lip & Cheek Tint in Very Vivacious: For a modern deep coral pop of colour on cheeks and lips, try this. It’s also seriously plumping and softening thanks to high-performance ingredients including Spanish lavender extract
DARKER SKIN TONES – If you have a dark or warmer skin tone with peachy undertones, start here with our picks! Two corals with a hint or two of red and don’t forget, the universal colours work for you too!
- Vapour Organic Beauty Siren Lipstick in Saucy: This warm, tinted tomato coral instantly brightens up the face. Dresses your pout pretty and protects lips from drying out thanks to its hydrating formula.
- ILIA Beauty Lipstick in Perfect Day: If you’re not confident with a red lipstick, try this instead! It’s a warm, toned down coral red which is very flattering and wearable on most skin tones.
UNIVERSAL - True orange is a playful and universally flattering colour.
- ILIA Beauty Lipstick in Voila: Want to make an entrance? Try this bold, beautiful, bright tangerine hue! It is a pigmented, semi-matte bright orange, which looks great on both fairer and warmer skin tones alike – but we think everyone should try it.
- Kjaer Weis Lip Tint in Sweetness: This orange-coral shade (with a hint of pink) brightens all complexions and flatters every skin tone. It’s highly buildable: you can keep it light in the daytime and build it up for a night-time look.
Want to know what our experts love?
Lou Dartford - Orange is often overlooked and thought of as difficult to wear, but this is not the case! There is an orange for every skin tone. When choosing a colour the best thing to do is just try it on, if it brightens your face then go for it. It works especially well on those with blue eyes, as it will make them pop. I currently love rms beauty Lip2Cheek in Curious. You can wear it bright, but you can also blot it down and have a hint of colour to ease you in…
Sjaniel Turrell - ILIA Beauty Lipstick in Perfect Day is my new favourite orange/red lipstick. It just exudes class and style, without having to apply any other make-up – it is also the perfect colour for those who can’t bring themselves to wear a full red but would like to try something a little bolder. It’s sophisticated and fun at the same time and seems to suit almost everyone. The wonderful thing about ILIA lip colours is that the colour moulds according to your own skin tone and they seldom look the same on any two people. It’s a colour that many people are surprised by when they try it on and makes them feel good. Add the fact that ILIA lipsticks have good stain and staying power without drying out your lips and you have a summer winner.
Lilian Komor - I love the Studio 78 Paris Let’s Get Married Liquid Lipstick in Coral: it’s a great orange lip colour. These are long lasting lipsticks that give a lovely glossy look straight away, but wear off into a lovely satin matte colour. They don't dry out the lips due to the hydrating castor coconut and avocado oil. One of my favourite tricks is to use the rms beauty Lip2Cheek in Smile is a lovely subtle coral. Although it looks bright in the pot, when it goes on the skin it blends out to a sheer orange hue perfect for warm summer evenings. Try it as a pop of lip colour, and add a dab in the centre of the eye lid to tie the make-up together.
Enjoyed our tips from natural beauty experts and green beauty make-up artists? Sign up to our newsletter to receive all our beauty guides directly in your inbox.