There's no better time of the year than Spring to press the "reset" button and give your body a reboot. Tonics can certainly help this cleansing process, so whether your're doing a gentle Spring detox, or aiming to give your health a little boost, we suggest you add them to your wellbeing regime. After all, these concentrated 'potions', made with powerful plant-based ingredients and herbs, can help strengthen your body's immunity and digestive system - a sure-fire way to "protect" your body during the detox process. To start seeing the benefits, we suggest you make tonic-drinking a daily habit - so why not start with taking it daily for one week?
This month, we've asked Jodie Walman of Sweetly Simple to share an uplifting hot tonic recipe with us. Sweetly Simple is the UK's first vegan juice truck, whipping up delicious super-food smoothies, organic juices, raw food and hot tonics - so we know we're in good hands! Keep an eye out for Jodie and her truck, which can be seen around some of London's best markets. She said:" This tonic is soothing yet powerful and is a wonderful way of getting unusual herbs into the body."
- 1 cup Mint tea
- 1/2 tsp Reishi mushroom powder (Editor's note - we love Four Sigma Foods Instant Reishi)
- 3 drops Ginseng
- 1/2 tbsp Lucuma powder
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil (Editor's note - we're fond of Essence of Eden Raw Coconut Oil)
- 1 date
- Vanilla extract
- Peppermint extract
Brew the mint tea for 5 minutes, then add it to the blender with all the other ingredients. Then, blend the mixture for 1 to 2 minutes. Drink up!
Ingredients: An overview
- Reishi mushroom is an adaptogen - meaning it can lift those feeling a bit down and calm those feeling a little high, balancing out the mind and spirit. The herb has been used traditionally to alleviate chronic fatigue, insomnia and stress, which can sometimes be prominent during the spring Season with work and study deadlines fast approaching. At Content, we're already devotees thanks to Four Sigma Foods Instant Reishi.
- Ginseng is another amazing ingredient used as an energiser and stress-aid, which helps calm the body. It's known to be an immunity-booster too.
- Lucuma is packed with antioxidants, minerals, carbohydrates, vitamins and fibre, that can greatly benefit the body's immune system. It's great for skin too due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-aging effects.
- Peppermint has many benefits, including aiding digestion and strengthening immunity. It's an analgesic, so may help reduce cramps and bloating, and also a natural sedative - making it ideal for relieving stress.