Although many ‘enlightened’ men can and do happily use lots of the organic beauty ranges we stock, some are about as likely to cleanse and moisturise as they are to bake us a gluten-free, vegan birthday cake.
Whilst many choose to suffer in silence, enduring painful in-grown hairs, razor rash and irritated skin, many boys have made the switch to organic skincare without being robbed of their ‘manly’ manner.
We often find that men are more interested in washing their faces in the morning and although what we’re about to say may sound controversial, men – if you only do one thing for your skin, ditch the morning cleanse and instead give your skin a gentle rinse upon waking and opt for a night-time cleanse instead.
So for those boys who do dive into bed without scrubbing their faces or rinsing their beards, we’ve rounded up our favourite products to tackle the daily grime one step at a time…
A Simple Organic Skincare Ritual for the Product-Shy Man
- Begin by cleaning the skin with your cleanser of choice. For those of you who like to steer clear of the typical ‘beauty’ product, we have a range of cleansing bars and facial soaps that no man could argue with.
- Whilst you may think the rules for face washing don’t apply to that hairstyle you have lovingly cultivated on your face, think again. Unlike the hair on your head, beards are subject to food, cigarette smoke, a dash of whiskey or craft beer, burger crumbs, as well as general pollution and dirt - so give it at least an end of day rinse and keep your ‘coat’ looking shiny with a drop or two of Beard Oil.
- Finish your ‘real’ man regime with a swipe of moisturiser and if you’re feeling particularly enthused, a little eye cream to combat those crows feet…not that we've noticed!
Read on for our pick of products to suit even the ‘manliest’ of men...
- Suki Sensitive Cleansing Bar – Great for sensitive skin types, this cleansing bar helps to improve the appearance of dullness, redness, flakiness, enlarged pores & dry skin patches.
- Soapwalla Activated Charcoal Soap – Ideal for those with blemish-prone and combination skin, this bar gently yet deeply cleanses pores of toxins and bacteria to reveal smooth, clear skin.
- MV Skincare Gentle Cleansing Bar – A must have natural skin soother for dry skin types and those prone to shaving rash.
For Pre and Post- Shaving
- Ren Shaving Oil - Designed to minimise post-shave dryness and irritation, this bio-active shaving oil makes for an easy and close shave, leaving skin supple and moisturised.
- Ren After Shave Balm - Cooling and calming, this soothing restorative shaving balm is great for reducing the appearance of redness and razor rash and preventing ingrowing hairs.
- Intelligent Nutrients PureLuxe Shampoo - This clever shampoo doubles up as a shaving gel, softening hair and skin for a close, clean shave.
- Dr Alkaitis Soothing Gel – Ideal as an after-shave soother for those with inflammatory skin conditions including acne, eczema and rosacea.
Prone to Sensitivity and Razor Rash
- Odacite Sensitive Skin Booster- Calming Chamomile is blended with Calendula to assist in soothing skin and minimizing redness post-shave.
- MV Skincare Pure Jojoba- Perfect for soothing the dry, itchy, flaky symptoms of shaving rash.
- S5 Skincare Calm Serum - A targeted treatment for calming and minimising redness & the symptoms of sensitive skin.
For Ruddy Cheeks...
- Pai Geranium & Thistle Day Cream – Great for sensitive and redness prone skin, the high levels of Essential Fatty Acids help to calm unsettled skin and even out skin tone.
- Dr Jackson No. 5 Face and Eye Essence - Perfect for jet lagged or weather exposed skin, this is a great moisturiser for after shaving.
- Kahina Face Lotion - Lightly scented and light on skin - this moisturiser is ideal for normal to combination complexions.
For Complex Combination Skin...
- Therapie Lemon Myrtle - Designed to purify and condition congested skin types, promoting a clear complexion with a matte finish.
- Amala Purifying Moisturiser - Infuses skin with lightweight moisture while helping to clear pores and reduce excess oil.
- Suki Balancing Day Lotion – With a fresh lemongrass scent, this moisturiser is ideal for combination, sensitive and inflammation prone skin types in need of re-balancing.
- Twelve Natural Skincare Ideal Rebalancing Level Serum - Helps to rebalance help, hydrate and reduce pore size, dramatically improving overall appearance of combination skin.
- REN Clarimatte T-Zone Balancing Gel Cream - Great for reducing shine, this gel combats the appearance of oiliness, blemishes and breakouts.
For Weather Worn & Dry Skin...
- Intelligent Nutrients Certified Organic Anti-Ageing Moisturiser - Designed to supplement the skins own moisture balance, this moisturiser is deceptively light, but rich in intensely hydrating emollients to deeply nourish dry skin.
- Dr Alkaitis Organic Day Cream - Live in the city? This raw organic moisturiser is fast absorbing; repairing, healing and protecting skin against daily environmental damage.
- Pai Avocado and Jojoba Hydrating Moisturiser - Rich in essential fatty acids to deeply nourish and condition dry skin, this formula absorbs instantly for locked in moisture when you need it most.
- Twelve Natural Skincare Ideal Moisture Level Serum - Great at combating the damaging effects of adverse weather conditions, central heating and air conditioning.
For cleansing & moisturising… Remember boys, this is where it counts so make it worth your while.
- Skin & Tonic Steam Clean Cleanser – Direct form London's East End, this cleanser is great for removing pollution and environmental agents that accumulate with inner city living.
- Suki Purifying Foaming Cleanser - Lightly scented with lemongrass, this cleansing gel has been formulated to draw out impurities & unclog pores, without drying out or stripping skin of its natural oils.
- Kahina Cleanser - Good for shower face washing and ‘shampoo-ing’ your beard.
- Therapi Lemon Myrtle Honey Cleanser – Perfect for oily or combination skin-types, this anti-bacterial cleanser deeply cleans without drying the skin out.
- Amala Purifying Gel Cleanser – A balancing cleanser for combination skin and those who experience clogged or enlarged pores.
For beards…Also double as Night Oils for Skin...
- Skin & Tonic Beard Oil - This specially formulated beard oil has been designed to strengthen locks and calm any ‘beard itch’.
- Kahina Serum - Calming and healing, use this serum on your face before bed, adding a bit to your beard for a moisturising overnight treatment.
- Dr Jackson No. 3 Face Oil - A nourishing oil for both softening the skin and grooming your beard.
Shower and Body
- Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Shampoo and Conditioner - Offering a minty morning wake-up call, this Shampoo and Conditioner are the perfect duo for those who struggle with getting going in the morning.
- John Masters Zinc and Sage Shampoo with Conditioner – a handy 2 in 1 shampoo & conditioner to alleviate scalp itch and flaking.
- Less Is More Kiesel Wax- For a firm hair hold, especially suited to fine-hair types.
- Rahua Hair Wax - Suitable for use on short hair to create height and definition.
- John Masters Organic's Hair Pomade - Great for taming and managing unruly or frizz prone hair.
- John Masters Organic's Sculpting Clay - For those seeking out a firmer hold and more flexibility in styling.
- Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Body Wash - An invigorating wash, featuring therapeutic essential oils to calm and refresh the mind.
- REN Seaweed and Sage Body Wash - Stimulating and reviving, this is another great body wash to wake you up in the morning.
- Dr Bronners Wash and Soap – These versatile organic soaps can be used to wash hair, body, clothes, and even the dishes! Try the peppermint.
- Organic Homme Stay Fresh Deoderant – An easy natural and organic roll on, perfect for men just transitioning to natural skin/body care.
- Soapwalla Deodorant - Gaining cult status over the past few years, a favourite with our male customers, don't let the pot it comes in avert you - this deodorant is quick and easy to apply and melts seamlessly into skin.
- Abel Organics Perfume – Conveying a spicy, woody unisex scent, perfect for the colder months ahead.
Products worth ‘borrowing’ from 'her' #organicbeauty collection...
- Lina Hanson Global Face Serum - This fast absorbing face serum reduces the appearance of fine line and wrinkles whilst reducing inflammation and skin irritation.
- Amala Advanced Firming Complex - Perfect for dry, taut or dehydrated skin, if you're going to 'borrow' one product from her #greenbeauty cabinet, this is the one!
- Tata Harper Restorative Eye Cream - Helping to firm the eye area and reduce puffiness, this eye-cream leaves the whole delicate eye area appearing brighter and younger.
- Amala Purifying Blemish Treatment - Great if you suffer from an oily T-zone, clogged pores or frequent redness and irritation, apply to problem areas when needed.
- May Lindstrom The Problem Solver - Think masques aren't manly? Try this black charcoal masque - there's nothing floral or girly about this one boys!