No matter how much lotion or oil you rub in, your skin still feels tight and rough - it may look patchy, scaly or even be flaking. Unfortunately, this scenario is all too common during the colder months, when our skin is exposed to and battered by the elements. These type of symptoms are actually typical of both dry and dehydrated skin types. However, the causes for these are different, so it’s important to understand where you fit in and how you can treat and soothe your skin accordingly, with the help of some #ContentApproved natural skincare powerhouses.
- Dry skin is a skin type, caused by low levels of lipids and sebum (oil). Our skin is made from layers of water-based cells, which are protected externally by a mixture of lipids, such as sebum. When the oil glands do not supply enough lubrication to the skin, the top layer becomes damaged and creates dry skin. The roots could be anything from ageing, to hormone imbalance, or simply genetics. Read up on how you can balance your skin back to health with our tips here.
- Meanwhile, dehydrated skin is a condition, so it is usually temporary. It is marked by low water content and often caused by external elements: from weather and environmental factors, to harsh soaps. Poor diet - consisting less of vegetables and more of caffeine and alcohol - can also play a part. Not only is dehydrated skin irritating, but it's a sure sign of internal dehydration too, when the body doesn’t receive enough moisture, it becomes more vulnerable to illness. Untreated dehydrated skin can also develop into dry skin.
So, what is the best way to quench dehydrated skin during winter? We put together our favourite natural and organic beauty products for the winter months below:
Absolution Le Serum Anti-Soif: Perhaps one of our favourite launches of last year. Formulated with potent moisture protectors and anti-oxidants, this organic treatment is a guardian angel for dry skin and packed with deeply moisturizing Aloe, plus soothing natural ingredients including Fucocert (known for its antioxidant and moisturising power, reported to be greater than Hyaluronic Acid, and it has the ability to calm reactive skin), Primrose Oil and Elderberry Flower. Applied every morning, it will soak up water, regaining skin's softness and elasticity while remaining perfectly matte, making it a hit with those who have that tricky skin type which is combination or oily skin but also dehydrated! It does a wonderful job of preserving the skin from environmental aggressors and its' suitable for all skin types.
Twelve Ideal Moisture Level Serum: This natural skincare range has been formulated specifically for sensitive skin, badly affected from temperature changes. This light, silky fluid does precisely that, as it absorbs rapidly into the skin to lock in moisture and create an invisible barrier combating the damaging effects of adverse weather conditions, central heating and air conditioning. Key natural ingredients include Mallow Flower extract (a soothing, anti-irritant with gentle moisturising properties) Imperatoria Leaf and Butterfly Blush Leaf extracts, which contain powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-UV properties.
Tata Harper Hydrating Floral Essence is our weapon of choice when skin needs that little bit of extra hydration. Spritz on face to prep skin before serum and moisturiser - the natural humectant Sodium Hyaluronate helps to draw moisture into the skin and plumpness. In winter, we like to mist it throughout the day - but it's also a travelling essential to tackle dry, recycled air. It's also loaded with organic antioxidant, skin-rejuvenating and anti-inflammatory properties thanks to organic witch hazel and white willow extracts.
Oskia Get Up and Glow: As the name suggests, this refreshing serum leaves skin with a beautiful glow, thanks to the inclusion of 12 natural beauty-boosting activities including elite grade Hyaluronic acid and biosaccharides. These stimulate the production of Glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) for plumper and smoother skin. We also like to double this up as a highlighter and use on top of our natural make-up to refresh and brighten our complexions.
Kahina Brightening Serum: Massage a thin layer of this beautiful serum on cleansed skin to help protect skin from environmental damage, boost radiance and even out skin tone thanks to a blend of Japanese wakame seaweed, rare white lily, and powerful antioxidants in argan oil, maritime pine and green tea. Thumbs up for its weightlessness and fast absorption rate.
S5 Skincare Renew Serum: If you're looking for an anti-ageing and highly hydrating treatment all-in-one, look no further. This organic serum uses bioactives to stimulate skin's collagen production. Antarctic Glycoproteins, which is produced by a unique bacteria found at the bottom of a glacier in antarctica helps to reduce wrinkles and fine lines, while the natural hyaluronic acid helps to lock in moisture and reduce skin hyper reactivity. Expect a smooth, youthful complexion.
Pai Skincare Sea Aster & Wild Oat Instant Calm Redness Serum: A blessing for sensitive-skinned beauties, this super concentrated serum helps to stimulate the skin’s natural production of collagen and elastin thanks to natural ingredients like calming Sea Aster, anti-inflammatory Wild Oat and Hyaluronic Acid plump skin and smooth the appearance of fine lines.
Also, try these #ContentApproved tips:
- Increase your water intake. Drink 7-8 glasses of water in between meals and foods rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Zinc and Selenium
- Hylauronic acid is a powerful nutrient which is shown to maintain hydration by retaining and increasing the skin’s moisture levels. Eat foods rich in hyaluronic acid like chicken, turkey, bananas and sweet potatoes. Also foods rich in Vitamin C, such as lemons, oranges, guavas and grapefruits which help support the synthesis of hyaluronic acid
- Try using a humidifier at home to counteract the dehydrating effect on your skin of central heating and air conditioning. Or you could pop a bowl of water on top of your radiator or underneath instead.