In this months Chickpea Magazine we were treated to an array of seasonal tea party recipes featuring a vegan twist on the traditional English afternoon tea. In line with this months theme on all things aroma, we have picked out a few of our most favourite floral afternoon delights, sure to be a crowd pleaser at any springtime soiree. Try this pretty Lavender Shortbread this weekend!
- 4 oz. vegetable shortening
- 4 oz. vegan margarine
- ½ cup unrefined golden caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 ½ cup plan flour
- ¾ cup cornflour
- Pinch o’salt
- ¼ cup dry edible lavender
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F. Line a 8” square brownie pan with greaseproof paper.
- Beat together the vegan margarine and the vegetable shortening until light and fluffy, then add the sugar and beat together some more.
- Mix the cornflour, flour and salt in a separate bowl, then sift into the fats, Add the lavender and remaining flour and mix until its nice and crumbly.
- Press mixture into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes until golden on top
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle a little sugar on top
- Whilst still warm, slice the shortbread into nine even pieces, but don’t remove from the pan yet! Place on a wire rack until completely cool and serve with a cup of earl grey tea.
This recipe was created by 21 year old vegan blogger Alexander Harvey. Check out more of his recipes on his website invegetableswetrust.